Press and Journal

Switch to desktop Register Login

3-year-old drowns in area pool

A 3-year-old child wandered away from a home near the 2000 block of West Harrisburg Pike and drowned in a swimming pool at 120 Wayne Ave., Lower Swatara Township police said.

When police arrived at 9:23 a.m. Sunday, July 31, the child did not have a pulse, said Detective Robert Appleby of Lower Swatara Police Department. “It appeared she was already deceased, but there were dedicated efforts to save her,” Appleby said. She was declared dead at the Hershey Medical Center.

Police are continuing to investigate the drowning, he said. Due to the investigation, police and the Dauphin County Coroner’s office refused to release the name of the child.

The child had been staying with family when she apparently wandered off and found the pool, Appleby said. He estimated that it was a 3-minute walk from where she was staying. There were no adults at the pool at the time of the incident, he said.

The pool is an above ground pool that is about three or four feet deep with no fence, Appleby said. “There are wooden steps that went right up to it,” he said.

“It’s a complete tragedy,” Appleby said. “There is something very unsettling about it.”

Lower Swatara Township has an ordinance in effect since 2000 that requires a building permit for any pool that is more than 2 feet deep. Local ordinances require that the pool must be built to the standards of the appropriate building code.

 

Last Updated on Tuesday, 02 August 2016 15:07

Hits: 778

Pineford area residents lost power for about five hours Sunday


    Residents in the Pineford area of Middletown were without electricity for about five hours Sunday.

    The outage was caused by a faulty switch somewhere in Pineford, but it took borough crews a few hours to isolate the problem, said Greg Wilsbach, Middletown public works director. Eventually a crew member saw sparks coming from one particular power pole.

    The outage was confined to residents of Pineford and of the surrounding Hoffer Street area, Wilsbach said. Residents were without power from about 10:30 a.m. to about 3:45 p.m. before electricity was restored to everyone.

Last Updated on Monday, 01 August 2016 17:33

Hits: 744

Mtown Boro Cops Looking For Burglary Suspect

White male, 40's, wearing jeans and black shirt

M

 

7 30 16 SuspectSought

Middletown Police are actively searching for a burglary suspect they say is loose in the area of Ann and Wilson streets, specifically between Wood and S. Catherine streets.

In a Nixle alert released by the local department at 12:35 a.m. Sat., July 30 police noted the suspect is believed to be a white male, in his 40's, wearing blue jeans and a black muscle type t-shirt. The suspect possibly has a mustache, the announcement also noted.

Police said the suspect entered a garage and stole tools. The extent of loss was not noted nor was it noted if the garage had been locked.

Police are urging residents to take precaution and to secure their homes' doors and windows and to lock out buildings on  properties, as well as vehicles. 

Police are asking residents to report all suspicious activity in or around their homes to them by calling 911. The department's non emergency number is (717) 902-0706.

 

Last Updated on Saturday, 30 July 2016 08:31

Hits: 1384

Four interview to fill seat that could be eliminated

Borough Council publicly interviewed four residents from Middletown’s First Ward who are interested in replacing Robert Louer Sr. on July 19. 

Council is expected to pick one of the applicants to fill the vacant seat during council’s next meeting Aug. 3 — unless council moves forward with a proposal by Mayor James H. Curry III to reduce the size of council (see related article).

Six First Ward residents applied, and four were interviewed July 19: Richard Jefferies, Rachelle Reid, David Scully, and Cathy Winter.  Tom Strohm and Sean Vaccarino were unable to attend.

Council also set the timetable for filling a second empty seat — the one representing the Third Ward vacated by the resignation of Ed Shull. Council accepted Shull’s resignation July 19.

Interested Third Ward residents have until Aug. 1 to apply to the borough to fill Shull's seat. Council plans to fill the seat during its Aug. 16 meeting.

 

Last Updated on Tuesday, 26 July 2016 15:15

Hits: 1093