locally owned since 1854

From the Vault: News from the April 21, 1913, edition of the Daily Journal

Posted 4/19/17

Pastor called to Washington: Rev. S.T. Nicholas resigns as pastor of Lutheran church

The resignation of the Rev. S.T. Nicholas as pastor of St. Peter’s Lutheran Church of town was handed to the …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

E-mail
Password
Log in

From the Vault: News from the April 21, 1913, edition of the Daily Journal

Special
delivery

Melvin Henry of Lower Swatara Township provided the paper for this week’s From the Vault. He brought us about 10 newspapers, mostly the Daily Journal. A majority were from 1918. One dated back to 1908. He found them in the basement of his home while cleaning out boxes that had belonged to his mother.
Special delivery Melvin Henry of Lower Swatara Township provided the paper for this week’s From the Vault. He brought us about 10 newspapers, mostly the Daily Journal. A majority were from 1918. One dated back to 1908. He found them in the basement of his home while cleaning out boxes that had belonged to his mother.
Posted

Pastor called to Washington: Rev. S.T. Nicholas resigns as pastor of Lutheran church

The resignation of the Rev. S.T. Nicholas as pastor of St. Peter’s Lutheran Church of town was handed to the church council at the close of the services Sabbath evening and accepted with great regret.

Rev. Nicholas announced that he had received a formal call on Saturday to assume the pastorate of the Keller Memorial Lutheran Church at Washington, D.C., to succeed the Rev. Dr. C. P. Wiles, who was recently elected to the position of literary editor of the Lutheran Publication Society, with offices at Philadelphia and that he had decided to accept the call, the same to become effective on June 1.

The Keller Memorial Church is situated on Maryland Avenue and Ninth Street, and is the largest of the 11 Lutheran churches located in Washington.

The Rev. Mr. Nicholas came to Middletown, from Pittsburg, where he was pastor of Grace Lutheran Church for 10 years and served as missionary superintendent of the Pittsburg district for two years, in December 1904.

During his pastorate of 8 1/2 years, St. Peter’s Church has made splendid progress in all departments and it is with the deepest regret and the kindliest feelings that the members of the congregation see him leave for a larger field.

Rev. Mr. Nicholas stated this morning that his relations with the officials and members of the church had been most delightful throughout his entire stay and that he would always recall his pastorate here with pleasure.

As the resignation came as a complete surprise to the congregation, no steps have been taken toward securing a successor to Rev. Mr. Nicholas as yet.

Red men attend church

Editor’s note: While the headline today would be considered racist, the group mentioned in the brief, I.O.R.M., stands for Improved Order of Red Men, which still exists and even has a Harrisburg chapter, according to its website.

On Sunday evening 60 members of Poketo Tribe No. 313, I.O.R.M., met at the hall on Ann Street and marched in a body to the Presbyterian church, corner of Union and Water streets, where they attended divine services.

An interesting sermon, appropriate to the occasion, was delivered by the pastor, Rev. Thomas C. McCarrell, D.D. The service was the first of a new series the lodge plans to attend.

Nearby towns to have pipe water

Oberlin, Enhaut and New Benton will be supplied with water by the Paxtang Consolidated Water Company before the end of the summer, according to the present plans of the company as stated by David Gring, the president.

An increase of the bonded indebtedness of the company from $300,000 to $1,250,000 has just been made, and this increase, Mr. Gring said, was to allow for the extension of the company’s lines and the taking up of some old bonds.

The company now supplies water to Progress, Penbrook and Pleasant View, besides Paxtang and parts of Susquehanna Township. Besides the increase in the bonded indebtedness, an increase of about $100,000 was made in the capital stock of the company.

Locals won the opening game; wind and flying sand made fielding difficult

Playing under adverse weather conditions, the Middletown baseball team won the opening game of the season of 1913 on Saturday, when they defeated the Dickinson College Reserves on the Fair grounds by the score of 15 to 10.

A strong, chilly wind swept across the diamond all afternoon, and this combined with the small amount of practice obtained was responsible for several errors and the resulting large score.

The home team showed flashes of midseason form at times that was very encouraging to the managers and the handful of faithful fans who shivered in the grandstand.

While Shatto, the regular pitcher, was in the box for the locals, the rah-rah boys only hit the ball safely twice. They scored 3 runs, but through no fault of Middletown’s star boxman.

Lockard, who relieved him, had lots of smoke, but was wild at times and did not receive the best of support. The visitors scored 7 runs in the 4 innings Pat officiated.

The game was of the greatest benefit, as it permitted those backing the team to see its weak points as well as its strong ones.

With one or two positions strengthened, the nine will be able to hold its own with any team on the schedule.

Committee meeting (Susquehanna River bridge)

The committee on reasons why the bridge across the Susquehanna River, at Middletown, should be built will meet this evening at 8 o’clock in the Republican Club room, Journal building. All members are urged to be present and bring their reasons so the committee can go over them and arrange them for printing.

Headlines from the front page

• Annual concert next Thursday; Middletown Choral Society will sing Haydn’s creation

• Sunday School workers to meet; will hold several sessions at Gingrich’s church

• Planning for band benefit; Palmyra music lovers to be given rare treat

• Odd Fellows give thanks

Hot buys

• Base balls: The Base Ball season is here and we are ready for it. We have Spaulding’s full line. Base balls, 5 cents to $1.25. Bats, 10 cents to $1. Gloves, 25 cents to $4. Mitts, 25 cents to $5. Masks, 25 cents and up. Base ball guides now in hand. Rewalt Pharmacy, T. E. Mayes, proprietor.

• “Peters’ Have It” — Special 10-day sale. Features include Brussels rugs, 9-by-12, $9.90. Inlaid linoleum, $1.50 (worth $2). Lancaster gingham, 7 cents. J.G. Peters Department Store, Union and Ann streets, Middletown.

• Established 1856: K.R. McCord, 44 Ann St., Middletown. Dealer in fine whiskies and wins, N.E. and Jamaica rums, national beer, porter and ale, Riekers beer. Manufacturer of all kinds of soft drinks under pure food laws. Phone Call 54-D.

Comments

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment