PENNSYLVANIA'S #1 WEEKLY NEWSPAPER • locally owned since 1854

GoFundMe account set up for family of five siblings who lost rescue dog in Londonderry Township fire

Posted 8/23/19

A GoFundMe account has been set up for the family affected by Thursday’s fire at 1842 Water St. in Londonderry Township.

Set up by Jade Lyrix Reinard, it has a goal of $5,000.

The …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

GoFundMe account set up for family of five siblings who lost rescue dog in Londonderry Township fire

Posted

A GoFundMe account has been set up for the family affected by Thursday’s fire at 1842 Water St. in Londonderry Township that killed a pet dog.

Londonderry Fire Chief Bart Shellenhamer said firefighters were dispatched at 2:58 p.m., and the fire looked like it was caused by an electrical issue. The house was unoccupied, besides the dog, named Leo, who was a rescue animal. There was “a lot” of smoke and heat damage and fire damage in the living room, kitchen and patio, he said.

Set up by Jade Lyrix Reinard, it has a goal of $5,000, and as of Tuesday morning, $430 had been raised.

The GoFundMe page states:

“Today, my family lost the most important thing to us, our family home. A home that me and many others in my family grew up in shared many memories in. We are also saddened by the unexpected loss of little Leo who unfortunately passed in the fire. My family lost everything, photos clothes food, everything. The money we raise is to help rebuild our family home and purchase the necessities like clothes food shoes and all those types of things! If you happen to have any pictures of my nan Helen Kreiser pap Earl Kreiser or our family that would also be wonderful. Anything helps. We would like to thank everyone in advance for all the love and support we've received. If you cannot donate please share this to help my family out! We love you all.”

Five siblings grew up in the house, but Shellenhamer said only one was living in the house at the time of the fire.

"There was lots of love in that house, and there will always be lots of love," sibling Earl Kreiser told the Press & Journal.

According to Betty Kreiser, she left the ceiling fans and two air conditioning units on for the dog. When she came home a little after 2, she saw smoke coming from the house and she wasn’t able to get inside. She said she believes the cause is electrical.

Firefighters left the scene at 6:14 p.m.

The family was assisted by Red Cross that night, but Shellenhamer didn’t know if they were still being assisted.

A Lower Swatara firefighter was transported to a hospital for heat exhaustion, and a Middletown firefighter was treated at the scene of the fire.

Multiple departments responded, including Londonderry, Middletown, Lower Swatara, Highspire, Bainbridge, Hummelstown, and Swatara along with the Pennsylvania Air National Guard and South Central EMS.