PENNSYLVANIA'S #1 WEEKLY NEWSPAPER • locally owned since 1854

Teenager allegedly threatened to open fire at Middletown Area High School, gets arrested

Posted 10/16/19

A 16-year-old Middletown boy has been charged with making terroristic threats after he allegedly threatened to shoot up Middletown Area High School.

According to police, it was reported at 5:57 …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

Teenager allegedly threatened to open fire at Middletown Area High School, gets arrested

Posted

A 16-year-old Middletown boy has been charged with making terroristic threats after he allegedly threatened to shoot up Middletown Area High School.

According to police, it was reported at 5:57 p.m. Oct. 3, but police said the threat was made earlier that day at the high school.

Police said a third party reported to Safe2Say that the boy said he was going to shoot up the school.

The boy was taken into custody at the Woodcrest Building in the Village of Pineford in Middletown less than two hours after the report was made.

No firearms were recovered, officers said.

“As of this school year, this was probably the most serious report we received in general,” Police Chief Jeff Vargo said.

Officers investigated and made an arrest based on its seriousness.

“All reports are taken seriously. This is no different from the others,” he said.

Added Superintendent Lori Suski in a statement to the Press & Journal: “The district received a Safe2Say Something anonymous tip after school hours on Oct. 3. The tip was immediately turned over to law enforcement to investigate. The prompt response of both Middletown Borough Police and Lower Swatara Township Police negated any alleged threat to the safety of MAHS.”